Thursday, July 5, 2012

Beautiful You: An Artisan Entry

Boy, not great photos of this page, but here is my 3rd and final scrapbook layout I entered in the Artisan Award contest. Once again I could not bare to put a single photo on the page, but instead chose my 4 favorites to "tell the story". This is my daughter eating a Superman ice cream cone last summer on the beach at a campground in Northern Michigan. It was so hot and the ice cream melted so quickly it left a sticky, colorful mess!  I tried to keep it simple in color and design to showcase the photos more.  Below are pictures of the many little subtle details....


 Since I struggled with titles using all CURRENT Stampin' Up! products I decided to try a banner title using the pennant punch and the stamp set Fabulous Phrases.  I was so pleased with how it turned out.  The fact that beautiful didn't fit and needed to be layered ended up being a bonus I thought.  I used the Penant Parade stamp set to stamp the background on the penants. 
 Here is a closeup shot of the embossed corners.  I was particularly pleased with this detail since it took some work to just emboss the corner of a 12x12 page in the Big Shot which is only, what, 6 inches wide?!  Part of me wishes I'd left the brads off though.  I used the Adorning Accents embossing folder, Pretty in Pink brads and Pretty in Pink striped ribbon.
 The required journaling was, once again, hidden behind the main photo.  I raised the ice cream cone embellishment on a double layer of Stampin' Dimensionals so it would nicely slide over the picture but also anchor the journaling box so it can slide out easily.  Added a bit of Dazzling Diamonds for sprinkles and the drip was made with the triple layer flower punch (the part you throw away!). 
 Here is the journaling box.  I used the Top Note die which is secured with a length of pink satin ribbon so it doesn't fall out and can only slide out so far. 
  Here is the whole thing with the journaling slide out.  Did you notice the spritzing in the background?  That was a LAST minute decision and I had to do a LOT of masking and even removed a few things to add it after everything was glued down!  That's a tough decision to risk the whole page- especially since the Smooch Spritz is so tempermental (meaning you can easily spray large unwanted globs if not extremely careful).  Lisa Henke gave me the boost I needed to go for it- thanks Lisa!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Sorry I've taken awhile to post the rest of my projects.  Squeezing in some camping trips and other fun family stuff before football season keeps us home. 

~Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much- your comments make my day! (if you are a spammer- GO AWAY! I will not publish your comment or your link to your crappy website! You are the reason I no longer allow anonymous comments. Jerks!)