Friday, May 8, 2009

With Sympathy

I made this card using this sketch from the Clean & Simple Stamping Blog. I wanted to do something bold and dramatic so chose to use the red/black combo on a kraft background. I didn't start out intending to do a sympathy card, but unfortunately found out while I was making it that a good friend's mother-in-law passed away unexpectedly yesterday. Do you ever worry about sending a handmade sympathy card? I know not everyone has an appreciation for handmade art and I would hate for anyone to actually be offended for receiving one. I am sure this friend won't feel that way, but this question has gone through my mind before... what do you think?

Anyway, I guess my go-to set is Inspired by Nature lately so it came to mind right away for this sketch. The flowers are stamped on the kraft cardstock with Black Staz-On then restamped on the vanilla after reinking with markers Real Red, Mellow Moss and Basic Black. The grass is stamped on the kraft cardstock in versamark so it is very subtle.

I wanted to try a trick I saw somewhere recently to make a scalloped oval without a fancy tool of any kind. Since I don't have a fancy cutter to make that I gave it a whirl here. I cut a thin strip of black cardstock- probably 1"- then punched it with my scallop border punch, then ran it through the crimper. I did end up trimming the final piece to about 1/2 an inch or less. Next, I added adhesive all around the outer edge of the oval piece and slowly bent and stuck, bent and stuck until it wrapped around the entire thing. This strip of black paper was 11" long and just fit! It isn't perfect and there are some creases and tucks, but I like the end result.

Well, that's about all I can tell you I suppose. Thanks for stopping by! Hug your loved ones today!
~Kristin

SUO Supplies
Stamps: Inspired by Nature, Warmest Regards (retired)
Cardstock: Kraft, Basic Black, Very Vanilla
Ink: Versamark, Basic Black, Real Red, Mellow Moss
Accessories: crimper, scallop border punch, Riding Hood Red taffeta ribbon

9 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try that trick with the crimped, scalloped strip, too! Thanks for the inspiration, Kristin. Your card is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love what you did with this sketch!!!! Fabulous card - wimple and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this card is lovely and I don't think ANYONE would ever be upset by getting a hand-made sympathy card! I love your scallop technique...I saw something similar with vellum and I like this just as much! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this card. It is beautiful! I think that people would appreciate hand stamped sympathy cards. It is just saying that someone cares enough and that they truly are thinking of them during the difficult time. And I don't remember who said it and know I didn't get it exactly right, but isn't a card a hug with a fold in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sympathy card! I'm with you, I don't think everyone understands about handmade cards, so I try to be sensitive about who I send my handmade sympathy cards to. I'm sure in this case that your friend will very much appreciate the love and time that went into this creation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great take on the spotlight technique! I really like how you have the shadow of the flower on the card base and the pop of red on the main panel. So very pretty!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloha, what a beautiful card! I don't think anyone that you know well (or who knows you are a stamper) would be offended by a hand made card. I have been told more than once that a handmade card means so much more. . . a few are offended if I mail a store bought card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very striking ... awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much- your comments make my day! (if you are a spammer- GO AWAY! I will not publish your comment or your link to your crappy website! You are the reason I no longer allow anonymous comments. Jerks!)