Well, it cracked me up to think of the first card I ever posted so I went to check it out... then I got to thinking it would be fun to try and redo that card knowing what I know now! So that's what I did, and that's our (mine & Lisa's) challenge to you!
- Go find the first card you ever made, first card you ever posted in an on-line gallery or at least the oldest thing you can find.
- Remake it- do something to bring it up to your current standards... but we want to know what you decided to change. You may change the stamps, colors, layout... whatever you want, but we want to see the resemblance to that orignal.
- Tell us how you've updated your look!
- Adding: please put keyword REDO101 so we can find it, and be sure to link your original for us to see too!
So, here is my sample to get you inspired! Don't be afraid- share that first card no matter how hideous (I AM!).
I first posted this card in February 2005- I actually did this at one of my very first workshops!
Here is how I've redone it.
In a nutshell here's what I changed:
- Sentiment and background stamps (sentiment is embossed on the new version)
- Moved the brads
- Changed from tearing to distressing for the focal image (straight not tilted too)
- Added the black scalloped edge
Here's the longer version: I actually used nearly the same colors: Creamy Caramel, Basic Black and well... I used Ruby Red in the first one and Riding Hood Red in the redo, and some Very Vanilla. For the main image I used the same stamp from All I Have Seen- a 2005 Sell-a-Bration stamp set. To update my look I changed the horizontal strip of paper from Vanilla to Riding Hood Red- I like the contrast better.
The sentiment I changed from Wonderful Words (which I still have and love) to the Thank you from Fresh Cuts, which is embossed in black. The background is one of the biggest changes I think since that is the part I dislike the most on my original card (and the part I think I was most proud of back in the day!). For my older version I stamped Canvas background in Chocolate Chip I think, then stamped that leaf image randomly over that in Creamy Caramel- UGH! For my new look I simply stamped the grass from Inspired by Nature with Versamark for a very subtle toned-down look.
The brads were changed in location and to black from metallic.
So, wasn't that fun? A blast from the past. Now I want YOU to PLAY along with us! Be sure to check out Lisa's blog soon too, because she'll be posting her redo!
Thanks for visiting!
SUO Supplies (card 2)
Stamps: All I Have Seen (circa 2005), Fresh Cuts (sentiment), Inspired by Nature (background)
Cardstock: creamy caramel, riding hood red, basic black, very vanilla
Ink: riding hood red, versamark, black craft
Accessories: Black brads, clear EP, distressing tool, scallop edge punch