Saturday, August 23, 2008

Inspired by Nature Home Decor













As promised, here is a picture of what I've been working on. It hasn't gone exactly as planned but you'll get the idea from the pictures. The frame is a shadow box that I bought years ago and spray painted with a textured paint. On top of that I sponged Chocolate Chip and some Black craft ink so it kind of looks like leather. The 2x2 tiles inside were bought at Lowe's and stamped on with craft ink as well. In this case I've used Inspired by Nature and also Stem Silhouettes (which you can't see in the picture real well). Normally I would spray these with an acryllic sealer but since they are framed and I was in a hurry, I didn't. I used Crystal Effects to glue them to the bottom of the frame. This was supposed to hang from a neat hook with a bird on it from the new wide stitched chocolate chip grosgrain but it wouldn't hang right so for now it is just hanging on a nail. I'd like to further embellish this somehow, but not go over-board... suggestions?? I've also considered putting some dried stems of some sort tied in a bundle in the shadow box but not sure what to use...
In the next picture are the matching candle and 4 1/4" tile I made. These were made with the same colors and stamps so they coordinate. If you've tried to stamp on a candle, you must! It is fun and fairly easy. Here is a tutorial in case you'd like to try it. The tile was also purchased at a home improvement store and on the back I have glued on a clothes pin so it stands freely. These are fun to make for a variety of occasions! Here is a very basic tutorial for the tile coasters, however I would add that you should use craft ink or Staz-On (not classic or markers as they will bleed) and that 2-3 coats of acryllic spray to seal is critical!
The colors for each of these are Chocolate Chip, Ruby Red, Mellow Moss and Always Artichoke. To determine those colors I took my cardstock color sampler around my house to match up the colors. It's kind of fun to see which SU colors you've used in your home... I've also used Apricot Appeal, Close to Cocoa and Really Rust to name a few! Guess I'm an Earth Elements type of gal!
I've got many more ideas but just can't get to them all at once. Thanks for stopping by!
PS- can anyone tell me why spacing in Blogger is ALWAYS a problem?? There is no rhyme or reason to the spaces that are randomly either added or deleted. Grrrrr!

6 comments:

  1. wow! these were worth waiting for. Glad the glue dried so I didn't have to wait any longer, you had me so intrigued. I love them, Kristin! great colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the candle and coaster set! That is just gorgeous! I have never done the candles before so I think I need to try that!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, love it!

    I just sent somebody over here to check this out!
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! This is just an amazing project! I love everything about it. The frame is the perfect thing for this. I never would have thought of using tiles inside a shadow box! And Inspired by Nature is just right for it too. You've blown me away with this project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these are gorgeous!!! Looks like something you would buy at the store- but better!! Hmmmm... wonder if I can talk DH into bringing me home some tiles ;) (works at Home Depot).

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! So pretty!!! I've been wanting to make a candle with this set since i got it...thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much- your comments make my day! (if you are a spammer- GO AWAY! I will not publish your comment or your link to your crappy website! You are the reason I no longer allow anonymous comments. Jerks!)