Saturday, March 19, 2011

Birthday Penguin

 Here's challenge number two between Lisa and I.  The picture below was to be our inspiration and we were also to use dry embossing and circle elements on our cards.  It is fun to see how different ours turned out- hers is elegant and just plain gorgeous.  Mine is obviously playful and cutesy. 

I hate to admit just how long this card took.  Piecing together that penguin from the owl punch (thanks to an idea I have saved by Teneale Williams!) and the balloons which have a layer of acetate over them for some realistic shine added a bit of time.  Especially when I kept messing up and having to redo certain parts.  My sketch is from page 88 in the SU catalog- I just love it and will definitely keep it in mind for the future! 

The happy birthday sentiment is from the new set Bring On the Cake in the current mini catalog.  I decided at the last minute to emboss it in white.  It got a little messy but I wasn't about to startover at that point!  Heck, messy embossing is a little like confetti on a birthday card, right?!  At least that's what I'm telling myself. 
Well, thanks for stopping by.  I'll list everything I used in my supplies list in case you're wondering.  Feel free to ask questions if you like, and feel free to join us in this challenge if you'd like!  We'd love to come see what you've done! 

~Kristin

SUO Supplies
Stamps: Bring on the Cake, Party Hearty (hat)
Colors: Tempting Turquoise, Kiwi Kiss, Pacific Point, Certainly Celery, Tangerine Tango
Accessories: Owl punch, Glimmer Brad, Dotted scallop ribbon border punch, Word Window, 1" circle and medium oval punch (from Holiday Mini), small star punch (for part of balloons), Big Shot, Dotted embossing folder, Texturz Plates, white embossing powder, linen thread (PHEW!)

4 comments:

  1. This is just too cute for words!!!!

    ~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, trying this again. I'm a sucker for penguins. this couldn't be any cuter. sorry it took you so long to create, but I think the results are worth it. again...little details just make me smile. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is just A-dorable! love that penguin....what a great idea and it turned out great regardless of how much time it took you. thanks for the fun day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much- your comments make my day! (if you are a spammer- GO AWAY! I will not publish your comment or your link to your crappy website! You are the reason I no longer allow anonymous comments. Jerks!)