Monday, May 19, 2008

CASE-ing Great Swap Girls.



Not sure what a CASE is? Well, the definition can vary but to me it means Copy And Share Everything. This is why I often use the word "inspired" instead- because if I copy everything on a card I don't post it anywhere- no point taking credit for someone else's design! Although I do LOVE being inspired by someone else's color scheme, technique, layout or theme.

Anyway, the Featured Swapper on the Great Swaps Girls blog was Lori Tecler this week. I finally got around to browsing her gallery and choosing something of hers to inspire me yesterday. Here is her card and this is what I came up with.

Althought this was a bit time consuming, it was really fun. I think this faux tile technique could look good with so many different stamps- especially the detailed scenery and flower stamps. Lori used flowers and a butterfly as well, although her butterfly is right in the image. Mine is so large I would've had to do some masking and didn't feel like it so I embossed it on a separate piece of paper then watercolored and cut it out.

To get the shades closest to a real monarch I ended up layering lots of color from Real Rust, Summer Sun, More Mustard & Pumpkin Pie. It is popped up on dimensionals in the center so it looks like it just landed there. When I showed it to my DH he actually seemed amazed that I made that butterfly- he asked if it was a sticker or something.

In the end I added a stamped off layer of the Weathered background stamp in Creamy Caramel, but had to do it twice for full coverage. If you look close you can see where I overlapped- ugh! I guess that's a good thing to do first so if you don't like it you aren't ruining the entire card and all that hard work! If you aren't familiar with it this butterfly is from an old retired set called Wonderful Wings from 2001! One of my first sets that I will never get rid of! Stay tuned, next post will be featuring SCS's Featured Stamper from yesterday! Thanks for stopping by!

Stampin' Up! Supplies
Stamps: Wonderful Wings, Blossoms Abound, Weathered
Paper: Lovely Lilac, Creamy Caramel, Naturals Ivory
Ink: Creamy Caramel, Always Artichoke, Lovely Lilac, Almost Amethyst, Basic Black craft
Accessories: black EP, Watercolor crayons, aqua painter, vintage brads, sponge

5 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful! I love your faux tile background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, this is gorgeous! The butterfly is so pretty and looks just like it's flying over the card. And, the Weathered image adds so much to the aged look--that was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented on this card already in your SCS gallery and was excited to see it again here on your blog. I think I have to CASE this card. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!
    No words to express my excitation.
    CASE CASE CASE.....Looking forward

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much- your comments make my day! (if you are a spammer- GO AWAY! I will not publish your comment or your link to your crappy website! You are the reason I no longer allow anonymous comments. Jerks!)